Sunday, September 16, 2012

Oppa Gangnam Style

Unless you've been away from Earth, you would have had your senses invaded by this youtube video called Gangnam Style.


Here's the original video. Watch it if you haven't already. (welcome back to Earth). And don't worry if you don't understand a word of it. It's in Korean. With a smattering of English words.

Oppa Gangnam Style

This video hit Singapore in August this year. The over 183 MILLION views it has received - I probably contributed 20 views. Alright, I confess. It's closer to 40.

Eh - sexy lady

Singapore has a huge K-pop and K-drama fans. But, and I'm not saying with 100% certainty, most of the fans (mostly women) go for the pretty boys.

Psy, on the other hand, looks like a regular uncle. I have been to Korea and to be fair I was only there for a week. Most Koreans we saw look pretty good. Our tour took us to non-city areas as well and I was shocked to see the other kinds of Korean. They kind of look like Psy. Short and less pretty. I think that's what makes Psy appealing. He goes against type - his uncle looks and of course, that crazy dance. Who knew dancing like a crab is so internationally appealing.

According to Psy on Ellen, the secret to the video's success:

Dress classy, dance cheesy.

Ahem. I beg to differ. I think it's:
Dress cheesy, dance crazy.

If you think it's easy to dance crazy, try it. Psy tried to teach Britney Spears on Ellen. He failed by the way. She no listen good. And Psy handled Ellen well. He asked to introduce himself. Not just dancing. Hey, he's not a dancing monkey, Ellen!


I've watched the dance moves over and over again and finally figured out why I can't do it. You need 2 right feet and I have 2 left feet. Ah so! But I think I've nailed riding an invisible horse.

Oppa Oppa 

Psy appeared to have more success on the Today show. Go here. (you have to watch an ad first)

Oppa Gangnam style 

This song and video does get a bit annoying over time. Especially when you hear it and see it everywhere. (I would put the figure at the 10th time) In fact, it will get to a point when....

via (I don't know who to credit)

8 comments:

Dee said...

I mustn't have been on earth... this is the first time I have seen or heard of it. My teens usually keep me up on the latest because they share it all at school. I don't think they have seen it either because one walked in when I was watching the clip to ask what it was.

Gingini said...

My first time to see this! Haha!! I like this little man. :)
Thanks for showing!

Sunfire said...

I first saw this video a few days ago, after watching a parody of it (star wars style) first. LOL The music is catchy, but the video just wierds me out... I'll have to watch those interviews, though. Thanks for sharing.
~Sunfire

Anonymous said...

For 5 weeks now here in the top of the charts. Even Nelly Furtado did it on her live show, (several links on youtube. Our current no 1 (with Psy still on 2) is almost just as odd: the whole song is two/three sentences. But pretty(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRAMNWzfjcg) and not wearing thin as quickly as Psy. And as i am writing this, Gangnam style is being played on the radio..
Carolien

Little Blue Mouse said...

So here I am back on Earth - I've never seen that before!

tamdoll said...

One of my girls was telling me about this last week.... and now I'm watching the video from your post & my husband comes in the room & says "Oh, that's all over tv lately."
I haven't watched tv in over a week - I think I have some catchng up to do, I'm disconnected from the world. Been playing too many video games I think.

Miranda said...

Ha! They just did a skit on Saturday Night Live. I didn't have any idea what it was. I had never seen/heard about this before the show. Thanks for clearing it up.

Linda said...

I've been off in California, but that may count as not being on earth! I've never seen it either. It's pretty catchy! I wish I could dance like that, but I would look like an idiot. You have to at least be a "cool" person. I can't even look cool when I exercise!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

My Bag Pattern Shop

https://www.etsy.com/shop/projectsbyjane

My Applique Patterns

https://www.etsy.com/shop/projectsbyjane?section_id=15580078&ref=shopsection_leftnav_2

My Embroidery Patterns

https://www.etsy.com/shop/projectsbyjane?section_id=15580078&ref=shopsection_leftnav_2