Sunday, April 17, 2016

How to tie your shoelace

For as long as I can remember, I have tied my shoelace the same way. I don't know if it's the same way other people do it. I don't know if anyone taught me to tie my shoelace. Maybe I watched how other people did it and copied it. Anyway, it worked and that's how I have tied my shoelace over the past few decades. I have never changed the method. Overhand knot, bunny ears, another knot and that's it.

I have been running for several years and in the last few years I have become more active, mostly because I got older and less fit. I wear running shoes more often - for running as well as walking. When I go to the malls, I favour running shoes as my feet don't hurt if I wear them. I hate it when my feet hurt and so running shoes are my go-to shoes for long walks. Anyway, I started complaining to hubs that my shoelace come undone at least once when I'm out. Yes, I've always accepted my shoelace coming undone because isn't that how it is? In fact, when I was much younger, I used to hang out with this girl whose shoelaces come undone all the time and I had to tie them for her because she's a freaking princess. (we're not friends anymore) When I go running, I have to resort to tucking the shoelace bow under the other lace to prevent it from coming undone. As I age, I find it sickening to keep bending down to tie my shoelace. Yes, bending down is now hardship.

Anyhoos, hubs took a look at my shoelace and he said if they lay vertical to the tongue of the shoe, it's wrong. It has to lie horizontal to the tongue. Mine is wrong. I guess that's why they come undone.

Hubs said he had watched a video and the advice is to do the opposite of what I've been doing if my shoelace comes undone easily.

Anyway, I tried with some difficulty and lo and behold, I managed to get my shoelace to lie horizontal across the tongue. Ha ha.

So I went through the steps for the wrong way and then the right way and I realised what was wrong. Apparently this is how I have been tying my shoelace all these years. I am right handed.

1. Right over left, knot.
2. Bunny ears.
3. Right over left, knot.

What I did wrong was to have right over left twice. In order for the knot to be more secure, it has to be:
1. Left over right, knot.

2. Bunny ears.
3. Right over left, knot.

Now my shoelaces don't come undone. I can't believe I've been doing this simple knot wrong for all my life. I believe it's because I don't even think about how I do my shoelace. It's something I do without thinking. How do you tie your shoelace?

1 comments:

Cathy said...

Here's a link to how I double knot my shoes...never come untied and very easy to untie. I didn't make the video....but it's the same as I have done for years.....VERY EASY!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NBpGj04NFY

Related Posts with Thumbnails

My Bag Pattern Shop

https://www.etsy.com/shop/projectsbyjane

My Applique Patterns

https://www.etsy.com/shop/projectsbyjane?section_id=15580078&ref=shopsection_leftnav_2

My Embroidery Patterns

https://www.etsy.com/shop/projectsbyjane?section_id=15580078&ref=shopsection_leftnav_2